Data leaked/hacked in 5 star Hotel - Marriott Hotel

Sep 22, 2018
This is not earth-shattering news, but I feel that all industries I.T. security should be more vigilant and consider using crypto for security measures. More specifically, use GenX coins!

December 1, 2018View in browser

Editor's Note
The news that someone hacked Marriott's computer systems doesn't come at an opportune moment.

The chain recently integrated the Marriott-Starwood loyalty programs, producing some grumbling from Starwood loyalists, and some high-profile strikes around the country likewise produced disparaging headlines, but they appear to be winding down.

While the loyalty implementation and the hack of guest data appear to be separate issues, they don't inspire a ton of confidence, and there will indeed be some short-term financial impact. The issue points to a larger problem for Marriott and other hacked companies: Why can't they alert consumers faster?

Even if Marriott didn't know the depths of the issue immediately, the chain has known it has a security problem since September 8. Couldn't Marriott have alerted its guests sooner?

— Dennis Schaal, Executive Editor​

Aug 13, 2018
I don't really understand what is wrong with most of these organizations these days. They careless about their clients data. In fact some of them go the extent of selling their clients data to third party. What a shame!

Last edited:

themonkii

Community Manager
Staff member
Jun 14, 2018
Seems a few places here in Canada were affected by this as well. Noticed the headline today.

aril

Dec 24, 2018
better be safe with our login credentials. never use same username-password combo on different websites.

chipr

Sep 16, 2018
Yep, I received one of the emails about this in my personal inbox and was not too happy about it at all. It is rather vague, a HUGE number of users datum was compromised (incl. mine supposedly if I received the letter), but it isn't really clear how or if my data was compromised and from which subsidiaries of it's website's, or booking.com, which I had used for much of the booking but that data gets forwarded to the hotel's site as well.